Written by Xintong Guo, Digital Marketing Intern.
Although the weather’s been warm for several weeks, we are still excited to celebrate the first day of spring. Yep, that’s today! Spring means hope and the promise of new life, and we wanted to kick off the season with a fun, family-friendly DIY craft that you can easily recreate at home with found materials—Egg Carton Flowers!
Want to ring in spring with colorful blossoms and vibrant, recycled art? First, you’ll need to gather the following materials!
-Paper Plate or Painting Palette
-Egg Carton (not foam)
-Pom Pom (optional)
- Carefully cut out four containers (2×2) out of your egg carton. Trim around the edges for a rounder shape for your flower petals.
Tips: Egg cartons are thicker than paper, so they’re harder to cut. Ask for help from an adult if you are experiencing difficulties cutting the egg cartons.
- Squirt some paint onto a paper plate or painting palette. Use any colors you’d like and paint the flower. Have fun!
- After the paint is dried, glue the paper straw to the back of the flower to make the flower stem. A paper straw is thick enough to hold your Egg Carton Flower, but you could also use a small stick or a chopstick, if needed.
- OPTIONAL: Want to make this craft a little prettier? Simply glue a Pom Pom to the center of the painted Egg Carton Flower!
- You just made your beautiful Egg Carton Flower! Take a photo, post it on Instagram or Twitter (@ThinkeryATX), and hashtag it #ThinkeryDIY. Let’s celebrate the first day of spring together!
Disclaimers: When recreating a Thinkery experiment, recipe or DIY activity at home, children should be supervised and supported by a parent or guardian.
Our spring-themed DIY Egg Carton Flower was inspired by I Heart Arts N Crafts.