Make this delicious, kid-friendly recipe at home! As always, adult supervision required.
Woohoo, it’s time for another sneak peek into Spark Club!
A four-week program designed specifically for students ages 8–12, Spark Club participants tackle advanced STEAM activities in an engaging, inclusive environment. From civil engineering to chemical reactions to graphic design, our monthly Spark Clubs rotate through different program areas in the museum. There’s always something new and exciting to experience—and we’re definitely cooking up something fun this month in Kitchen Lab.
What do you get when you combine food, chemistry and art? S’more spaghetti, tofu chocolate mousse and other crazy culinary combinations, that’s what. Grab an apron—our August Spark Club, Food Fab Lab, focuses on food science. We’re taking familiar flavors and transforming them into molecular masterpieces—like this tasty Grapefruit-Rosemary Fizz.
To make a Grapefruit-Rosemary Fizz at home, you’ll need the following ingredients:
– 1 very ripe grapefruit
– ½ cup sugar
– ½ cup water
– 3–4 sprigs fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
– Soda water
Then, follow these step-by-step instructions:
– To release the oils, crush rosemary sprigs gently in your hands or by using the back of a spoon and a plate.
– Mix together the water, sugar and rosemary in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat.
– Bring the rosemary-sugar mixture to a boil and wait until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir intermittently.
– Remove from heat and cool. After the mixture has cooled, remove the rosemary sprigs from the saucepan.
– Slice up your grapefruit into small quarters or slices.
– Place several pieces of grapefruit into the bottom of two 8-ounce glasses and muddle the fruit. Keep two slices as garnishes, if desired.
– Add several ice cubes to each glass and pour 4–5 spoonfuls of the syrup over the ice. You can add more or less syrup, depending on your desired sweetness level.
– Top each glass with soda water to the rim and give a quick stir.
– Garnish the edge of the glass with a slice of grapefruit or rosemary.
Interested in an upcoming Spark Club series? Want to make this tasty drink at Thinkery? A few spots for August’s Food Fab Lab are still available! Ready to rock out? Get Amped this September in Space 8 as we as we explore the science of rock and roll by designing and engineering our own custom electric guitars from the ground up.
All activities at Thinkery are supervised by Thinkers. When recreating a Thinkery experiment, recipe or DIY activity at home, children should be supervised and supported by a parent or guardian.