Grown ups can enjoy an evening at the Thinkery on their own. At Thinkery21 we close the museum to kids and let adults, ages 21 and up, eat, drink and mingle while experiencing innovative science and art.
Each evening explores a different topic, but all include a cash bar, special activities and delicious nibbles from Austin food trucks. Depending on each evening’s lineup, enjoy live performances by local artists and musicians, dive into a topic with inventive scientists and explore cutting-edge technology with programmers and designers.
Tickets are $15 per person purchased in advance and $20 at the door.
Thursday, July 9, 2015
The needle. The quill. The squid. The printing press. No matter the source, ink is an essential tool in the modern and natural world, from the arts to the ocean floor. Join us for Thinkery21: Inkery as we put ink to paper, skin and canvas.
The evening’s line up includes:
• Old School Typed Poetry – Using vintage typewriters, Typewriter Rodeo puts ink to page in quirky poems, sonnets and haikus. Give the talented bards of Typewriter Rodeo a topic and walk away with a custom verse.
• The Body as a Canvas – Unlike a flat canvas, humans have curves, bumps and bones to navigate when permanently applying ink. Heralded as the Spiritual Godfather of urban tattooing, local tattoo artist, Zulu, of Zulu Tattoo illuminates the complexities of creating works of art on the human form.
• Henna Tattoos – Not sure if tattoos are for you? Let the custom tattoo artists of Zulu Tattoo introduce you to the philosophical and artist side of tattooing with non-permanent henna tattoos.
• Chinese Calligraphy – Chinese calligrapher, Xia Zeng, guides you through this traditional art as you make your own characters.
• Texas-style Gyotaku – The artists of Inked Animal demonstrate the traditional Japanese printmaking technique, Gyotaku, with a Texas twist.
• Letterpress Bookmarks – Make your own letterpress bookmark with artists from Austin Book Arts Center using a historic printing press.
• Mobile Screen Printing – Make a print on Bibliographia Mobile Print Project’s traveling screen printer.
• Crazy Fast Caricatures – Get immortalized in ink with caricatures by Stephen and Serena Romero
• Go Fluoresce Yourself – Learn the secrets of luminescent ink using your body.
• Western Calligraphy – Get a lesson in penmanship from Capital City Scribes.
• Squid Dissections – The only recommended way to get up close and personal with a cephalopod’s ink sac.
• Group Mural- Make your mark contributing to a collaborative mural of Austin’s famous skyline.
• We’ve Got A Lot of Gall – Learn how parasitic wasps, oak trees and rusty nails have been making history since the 5th century with gall ink.
Delicious local food for purchase:
Whole Foods Food Truck – Natural and organic morsels.
Be safe and take an Uber home! Enter in our code THINKERY for $20 off your first ride.
Thinkery21: Pantone-monium: Explore the Science of Color and Light
Thursday, August 20, 2015
Tickets go on sale Friday, July 10!
Brighten your perception – explore the science and art of color. More event details coming soon.
Please note: Thinkery21 is for adults 21+ only. There will be a cash bar (please bring cash as there’s not an ATM on site).
Thinkery21 Cancellation Policy: The Thinkery will not issue a refund for the cost of the ticket if you are unable to attend the event. The Thinkery reserves the right to cancel a program if registration for the event does not meet the minimum enrollment requirements. If the Thinkery cancels a program, a full refund will be issued to all registrants.