Thinkery's beloved winter tradition returns in December 2018! Creative families build with fresh gingerbread and sweet treats in a fun and festive atmosphere. Each Gingerbread House Kit includes all your supplies—fresh gingerbread from La Mexicana Bakery, an assortment of candies and plenty of icing. Build one house together as a family or order kits for each family member to create a gingerbread masterpiece of their own. From traditional houses to toddler designers and Candy Chemistry to Art & Architecture, there is a workshop for every family.
After the workshop, all participants are welcome to explore Thinkery while their house dries in the Gingerbread Village. Finally, capture a sweet memory by posing for a picture with your house at the Gingerbread Photo Booth.
Explore workshops below:
Our hour-long, educator-led Traditional Gingerbread Workshops are appropriate for all ages and offer everything needed to build and decorate a charming gingerbread house. Each attendee must reserve a seat in the workshop, and we recommend purchasing one Gingerbread House Kit for every 2–3 people. Follow our single-house design outline or combine kits to create your very own design!
When building is complete, we'll move your house to the Gingerbread Village, where you can pick it up after playing in the museum. Don’t forget to snap a memory at the Gingerbread Photo Booth!
Tot Gingerbread Workshops are designed for families with children ages 5 and under. These hour-long workshops provide everything needed to construct and decorate an easy-to-build gingerbread house. Each attendee must reserve a seat in the workshop, and we recommend purchasing one Gingerbread House Kit for every 2–3 people.
Planning for Your Workshop
- Children must be accompanied to workshops by a ticketed adult.
- Plan to arrive at Thinkery 10 minutes before the start of your workshop.
- Due to room capacity, each person who attends the workshop must reserve a space in the workshop by purchasing a ticket. Family members not attending the workshop must purchase general admission to enter the museum. They will not be admitted to the workshop without a workshop ticket.
- In addition to tickets, each group must purchase at least one gingerbread house. We recommend 2–3 people per gingerbread house.
- Gingerbread ingredients include flour, molasses, ginger, cloves, milk, sugar, egg, salt, butter and baking soda. Icing is made from water and powdered sugar. Candy decorations do not contain nuts, but may be produced in a facility that also produces nuts, see packaging for details. Workshop ingredients are subject to change. Please notify staff of any known allergies.
- The Private Workshop price includes 10 or 15 Gingerbread House Kits.
- Completed houses will measure approximately 8”x8” and are about 10” tall. They're also made with real, fresh gingerbread!
- Families may explore the museum after their workshop for as long as they would like.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the workshop rooms during regular operating hours, except for Private Gingerbread Workshops.
- Outside entertainment vendors are not permitted in workshops.
Traditional, Tot, Gingerbread Art & Architect & Candy Chemistry Workshops
If you cancel or change your plans, please notify us at least seven days prior to the event start. A $5 transaction fee will be charged if you change your workshop. Refunds will be charged a $5 transaction fee and are not available if we are notified less than seven days prior to the event start or you fail to attend the event. Non-refundable, pre-ordered houses will be made available for pick-up in the form of a DIY kit.
Thinkery reserves the right to cancel a program or combine workshops if registration for the event does not meet the minimum enrollment requirements. If Thinkery cancels a program, a full refund will be issued to all registrants.
Private Gingerbread Workshops
If you must cancel your plans, please notify us at least 15 days prior to the event start to receive a refund of the ticket cost minus a $75 processing fee per workshop. Refunds are not available if we are notified less than 15 days prior to the event start or you fail to attend the event. Non-refundable, pre-ordered houses will be made available for pick-up in the form of a DIY kit.